Wednesday, November 4, 2009

The Kitchen Conundrum

I was not born a cook (though I wish I was) but current circumstances dictate I should, at the very least, know basic cooking by trying simple recipes. So its off  to the cooking channel, the food section of the major dailies and those free recipes that comes with that brand of noodles or this soy sauce for ideas.

I was looking at one recipe recently. It came with the egg noodle that Cecille would like to try. Sweet and Spicy Beef Egg Noodles, it says. It looks delectable so I thought I would give it a go.

I browse the ingredients: Canola Oil, minced chilies, garlic, egg noodles, salted black beans, down to cucumber, julienned carrots and bean sprouts.

Surprisingly, the procedure did not include the last three ingredients. I have read it four times over and still did not see the cucumber, carrots and bean sprouts being mixed in. I am no longer sure if I would try this. I might be setting myself for some disappointment.

I think that if they intend to miss on some items, perhaps it would have been better if they just wrote under Procedure “Surprise!” and nothing else. Or maybe “Explore!” which I think is better once taken on the context of a verb. Splash out all the ingredients and leave the adventure to the would-be-cook. That would be fun.

But on the second thought, wouldn’t this oversight also say something adverse about the product it was suppose to promote? How do we know they did not miss out on the important ingredients? Will it really taste genuinely egg noodles? How can we be sure if it is really safe to eat?

Oversights, it seems, are also the in-thing even with the humble but ever popular instant noodles. It has become some sort of a staple that the government uses it as price benchmark. If it remains cheap, then the economy is stable, so they say. Yeah, sure. 

It is cheap alright but is often hell getting on with. The companies try to save on convenience packaging and as a consequence those little packets are so difficult to open. And when you do, it’s all over you. All that oil, soy sauce and powdered flavors they insist as nutritious condiments splattered onto that favorite shirt. It is cheap.

So it’s back to the food channel for me. But that may even be cut short for cable rates had gone up and we decided to unsubscribe. This is indeed turning into adventure time.

Photo credit: foodie.jenius @ Flickr