Thursday, December 17, 2009

My Daughter Danced


Last Sunday was Carmella's first ballet recital.

She of who some two years ago was diagnosed with a life threatening disease, who had to skip regular school to avoid infection that can cause havoc to her immune system.

She who had just finished her two year chemo treatment for Acute Myelogenous Leukemia last month. Yes, last Sunday she danced.

She danced and danced with grace and gusto. Together with her ballet classmates all dressed as Autumn Fairies, she beautifully glided across the stage in the main theater of the Cultural Center of the Philippines. The joy that she showed while doing their short routine I shall never forget.

I never heard the music, never remembered it. I just saw my daughter dance. And dance she did. She danced while I wipe away my tears.

For cry I did.

I cried because I remembered how not so long ago we nearly lost her. I cried because I remembered our journey where our only prayer was for the good Lord to bring our daughter back.

I cried because of the joy welling up inside me, for the sacrifices are slowly paying off.

I cried because I was witness to a triumph that was being played onstage through a dance of Autumn Fairies. I cried because no matter how many seats I was away from the stage, I saw the smile that said so many good things.

My daughter danced. And dance she did.