Tuesday, December 22, 2009

11 Years


Yesterday Cecille and I celebrated the 11 years of our married life.

How does one describe this milestone? 

Well, we have our moments. At this age, a person seems to be sensitive to almost anything. While Cecille thinks I should now  be acting my age, I believe she should know better. So there, our life story of the last 11 years.

Seriously though, an overlooked but deeply significant part of our journey together has revealed itself to me only recently.

The other week, Carmella asked her mom to write our names on a piece of writing pad. She then taped it on our wedding picture hanging in our bedroom.

Looking closely, one name in particular says so much about how one-sided this relationship has been: Cecille Jaleco.

Yes, she has taken up my name. All things about her now is about being a Jaleco. Her signature will now include Jaleco, she will vote as a Jaleco, will be addressed as one and her children will carry my forefather's name.

But she has also given up much of who she was, her dreams with all the joys of being single and free, and happily embraced her new identity. She decided to fall in love and to endure the pain of childbirth. 

She learned to love what I love, value what I value and share my joys with me. She loves me and continues to love me no matter my misgivings.

Indeed, this relationship has been one-sided but sadly, always in my favor.

And it is a regret that I have not promptly responded to the selflessness that was apparently there from the start. 

It is a time of giving back and to be in love like the first time.

It is a time to be grateful for the good 11 years.