Tuesday, December 8, 2009

My Dad Is Better Than Your Dad!

This latest NBC offering, currently being shown in The Disney Channel, has become Carmella's favorite. For her, the challenges faced by the participants is entertaining.

In this show, bravery is measured by how scorpion-brave is dad and strength by how accurate he can swinging his child, hanging on a rope, to a target of maximum points.

Here, "better" is measured by knowing what is your child's favorite video game, or what he wished during his last birthday and a reward of $10,000 for each correct guess.

But entertaining it may be for her, it is a dilemma allowing Carmella to watch this type of shows mainly because they wrongly label a person.

It does not genuinely define “best” according to one's inner goodness but rather through means that are totally trivial.

Entertaining, perhaps but it also presupposes that superficiality can be a standard of judgment. And this can lead to intolerance.

Indeed, I can never be the better Dad for I do not know the struggles of other dads nor their definition of victory.

I do not know how much they give up for their children or the noble steps they take to make life better for them. I do not know their journey.

I do not know the pain they carry every time their child is sick or distressed.

I do not know how they have fun with their families. I do not know their prayers.

No, I can not be the better Dad.

I can, at the very least, try to be as great.