Saturday, January 9, 2010

Do I Want To Be Rich?

So many times I have been asked what is my goal or what do I want money to do for me. I must have answered in many different ways that I am already confused on what it is that I am really aiming for.

Lately a friend was explaining the value of financial intelligence and the popular view that through thorough understanding its concept can one truly achieve financial wealth. Names of John Maxwell and Robert Kiyosaki would occasionally pop up during our conversation. John Maxwell is someone I have grown to admire while Robert Kiyosaki is someone I am currently trying to know. But both, in my opinion, had already seen the "light".

It was a good talk in that it brought a lot of introspection. I went home and then to bed with the nagging question “How financially rich do I really want to be?” Which led to a night of severe tossing and turning.

Perhaps I would have slept better if from the start I was asking the question “Why do I want to be rich?” 

Is it to leave an enduring legacy that will continue on even when I am already gone and back to my Lord and Creator, a legacy akin to the Taipan's and the Mestizo's in our society?

Or is it so I can fulfill a purpose?

Rick Warren in an interview said that the very first thing he did after his success was to return all the salary he has received since he started as a preacher. He felt so liberated for having preached for free.

While it may be true that I long for a more comfortable life, one that will allow my family to lessen our dependence on public transport that insists on sitting ten people when it will only allow for 8, I will aim for nothing more than what will basically fill the need of this family. For basic means less and less means having more left to give.

Dave Navarro in his ebook 7 Steps To Playing A Much Bigger Game has defined value as being about what we can do for people who need what we can do.

If I can help a friend focus on things that he believes are good rather on things that disappoints and if it will help him move on full of hope, then I have provided value, I have fulfilled my purpose.

If I can ease a mother's aching heart towards a daughter so sick, then I have provided value, I have fulfilled my purpose.

And if being rich will help me achieve these and more, then I have answered my question.

Photo Credit: AMagill @ Flickr