Thursday, October 8, 2009

Triumphs

After a long while I clocked 72 kilometers on my bike’s cyclometer. It’s not the first time I did this stretch but it felt good that I was able to do it again.

It was one agonizing adventure where the up hills seem endless. The cramps, the neck and back pains and the bum burn brought by prolonged stay on the saddle I could still feel.

But I would ride that route again. Am I into self-flagellation? Absolutely not. It is essentially about this father discovering and then conquering his limits.

I am the slowest in the group, constantly at the last. Maybe it’s my age or even my equipment. But one thing I can boast about is I never walked my bike over any of those horrendous climbs. I pedaled and pedaled as hard as I can and I conquered.

The road ahead can get quite lonely for the man who is in the last. But in bike rides as it is in life, it is the last man who makes sure no one gets left behind. The rest of the convoy can meander on peacefully confident someone makes sure everybody gets home.

There is so much about fatherhood that would bring one to test his limits and a dreadful illness in the family is one of them.

Still there is no stopping over that steep hill. I continue to pedal with all my strength, constantly believing that I will conquer and making sure no one gets left behind, nothing taken for granted.

Everything is precious.

(Photo courtesy of Jovy Lazan)