Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Why the Title?


So much has been said about stay-in dads and I guess most figured our mascot to be the sloth. Special creatures, really, and nothing more special than my personal favorite Sid, that fumbling but enduring friend of both Diego and Manny the Mammoth.
Why the blog title when it may cause so many to pass judgment on this poor author?
I guess because there is so much to being a dad at home like simplicity, no rush and dash, no keeping ups, no pretenses. It is easier to define a purpose, easier to be one's self. The world may be fenced out by a 30-square-meter dwelling but in here I have the universe because this is HOME.
I am a dad at home for a very special reason: my daughter.
Two years ago she was diagnosed as having Acute Myelogenous Leukemia or AML. Since then, I made her my main agenda. My wife and I discussed the issues of having a child with a life threatening disease and have decided I will be the one to forgo plans and take care of Carmella. I have become a Stay at Home Dad, a 24-7 father and yes, full-time in every sense.
I made it my vocation to be there at every doctor's appointment, at every laboratory tests prior to chemotherapy, at every treatment, at each Bone Marrow Aspiration and lumbar puncture, to personally administer her home medicines, to be her cook, her personal carer, her home school teacher, her friend.
I will be my daughter's witness and she will be my victory.
Yes, there is so much to being a Stay at Home Dad and this blog hopes to capture and share the view from this spot.